vendredi 30 septembre 2016

Native Horns conundrum

I'm hoping there's a tech wizard out there in Reaperland who may be able to throw some light on this - I'll try to be brief, and apologies if this is in the wrong place.

Me: Old fart, ageing muso, some PC experience but new to recording/mixing (started about 5 months ago).

My PC: 4 month old Desktop, i7 quad-core/8-thread, 16Gb RAM. Should be able to run like Usain Bolt without breaking sweat.

Software: Windows 10 Home 64bit (incl. anniversary update 5 days ago), Reaper 64bit (yay!), Native Instruments Komplete 10 Ultimate, some freebie VSTs.

Controller: Native Komplete Kontrol S61 keyboard.

Problem: All relates to NI Session Horns Pro.
When running Session Horns in a Reaper project (either in Kontakt 5 or Komplete Kontrol in VST mode, no difference), after about 5-10 minutes the horn sounds start to drop out. BTW, the project can be simple or complex - even happens with only a couple of tracks. First the articulations disappear, then notes become little staccatissimo 'beeps', then they stop playing completely. Sometimes if I try tweaking the horn settings in the VST, like EQ/compression, individual horn volume, or similar, the drop-outs will happen much faster.
Usually (though not always) clicking the '!' button in the GUI to re-initiate the engine will bring the sounds back (though I usually have to stop playback first).

I've had a long e-mail exchange with NI tech support to no avail - the issue has been escalated to developers and I'm awaiting their reply.
I've followed all the advice in numerous NI documents - PC optimised for audio, run LatencyMon to check for dodgy drivers, re-installed Session Horns, moved the library (on NI's advice) to my 'C' drive, etc etc. None of it makes a blind bit of difference.

This is driving me batty. The horns were one of the main reasons I bought Komplete in the first place, and I want to use them a lot, but this stop-start nonsense has me chewing the carpet.

It may be me doing something extremely stupid, though obviously I've no idea what, or it may be Komplete Horns is throwing a fit, or it may be something to do with Reaper (though I doubt it, since everything else works just fine).
So I wondered if anyone has any ideas, or has encountered anything similar?
No suggestion will be too basic (remember, I'm v. new to all this) and I'm happy to try anything legal that doesn't involve a club-hammer - believe me I've been tempted. :mad:

A thousand thanks, and here's hoping.....

6


Native Horns conundrum

Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire