vendredi 30 septembre 2016

Routing for streaming music production with Open Broadcaster

Hello guys :) I hope you're all fine!

I've had a lot of help from this community lately so I figured I would push it a little bit more and ask you about some complex setup shenanigans. Brace yourselves this is a tricky one!

A picture is worth a thousand words, as they say:



So this is my new home studio, which is focused around the idea of live streaming music production. It's not a lot of stuff, but routing all these things together can quickly become a bit of a nightmare.



First let me explain my needs:

1) I want to stream daily on Twitch.tv using Open Broadcaster (obsproject.com). My stream is focused around music so a decent audio quality and low latency are necessary.

2) My sound sources are a mix of many things:
  • 2 Microphones (XLR) and a keyboard (2x Mono Jack)
  • Synths and samplers inside of Reaper
  • Desktop sounds (music player, youtube videos)
I would like as much control as possible over each individual volume/EQ/Pan, and the balance must be the same for both me and the stream audience.

3) Optional luxurious musician dreams: it would be so nice to...
  • reverse the stereo for the stream output (considering the webcam placement)
  • spare my audience the annoying tick-tock of the metronome sound (I don't use it that much to be honest)
  • be able to record desktop audio on the fly, for quick sampling and other fun applications :P



Now onto the hardware and software I have to hopefully make this work:

- Current external soundcard is a Behringer xenyx302usb which has cool drivers that allowed me to get this far but has limited routing options (I can't disable direct monitoring for example :/ ). I will definitely get another low/mid priced soundcard once I know more about my setup options.

- I have a desktop computer with a decent on-board sound card and a laptop. I would prefer to use only the desktop computer instead of going for a 2 PC setup, unless it radically simplifies and improves audio possibilities.

- Software wise, I have Open Broadcaster which picks up and encodes the sounds, Reaper as my main DAW. I also own a copy of Virtual Audio Cable if need be, but that thing is not so stable and I would rather avoid it.


I've tried setups like this a lot but I'm still wondering what's the best way to go about this. I need stability, which I think comes from simplicity... maybe the easiest could be a physical cable coming out of my external soundcard into the PCIe one and have OBS listen to that signal only?

What do you reckon guys? :) Let me know! Thanks already for taking the time to help!

jedd


Routing for streaming music production with Open Broadcaster

Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire