mercredi 28 septembre 2016

MIDI Notes cutting off - my solution

Reaper user for 8 years +/-. This morning out of the blue I started having a problem with notes from MIDI instruments cutting off when rendering. I've made no changes in the system, except for the "update" to Anniversary. Everything was fine while playing/recording/playing back, but notes just randomly cut off when rendering. The problem did not occur when bouncing or rendering in real time.

I found a few threads here from people having similar problems, usually involving Kontakt, but did not find a real definitive solution. This was happening for me not only with Kontakt, but also with Sonivox 88, (didn't test any other instruments) so this is not a Kontakt issue, it is either a Reaper issue or a Windows issue.

I tried rendering at different sample rates/bit depths. I also tried removing every track but a single MIDI track from the song. None of this worked.

This had the feel of some kind of interference or cross-talk between MIDI devices. As if the instrument was getting some sort of random note off messages from hell. I have been using a virtual MIDI device called LoopBe to get MIDI signals from a couple of standalone instruments that do not have plugins. I disabled all MIDI devices in the preferences, and the problem went away. I enabled them one by one and the problem only came back when I re-enabled LoopBe.

I'm posting this here today for anyone who may encounter a similar issue, because I was unable to find a solution here.

Thank you for reading - have a great day.

Greg


MIDI Notes cutting off - my solution

Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire