jeudi 29 septembre 2016

New Interface for innovation Mine Blew

I blew up my MOTU Traveler firewire chip.

It has served me well and I think Art and JF recommended it to me many years ago. Great recommendation as it has served nobly and loyally and may do so in future when I resurrect it.

I was tempted to post in the Round Trip Latency thread
http://ift.tt/2dFOSrs

but do not want to hijack it and this is about what is affordable but available now. I can repair it but it will take time to get the chip and practice chip on circuit board un-soldering and soldering etc.

I have a new band about to start up and use the interface both to record and play VSTIs in real time so low Round Trip Latency (confortably below 10ms)is vital.

I always wanted an RME Fireface but fire wire is going out of 'fashion'. The MOTU has served me very well and I could still run fire wire but some USB systems seem to be doing well especially with optimised Windows systems.

I just lack confidence on USB 2 so far as carrying duplex signals go ie playing and recording in a performing band at the same time. Some of the musos are very good and would pick up on problems right away but I do not think it needs really low latency like 3ms or anything like that.

I just think that playing at around 44.1khz at 128 with about 5-9 ms would be sweet.

I can just buy a second hand RME but it will stretch the budget.
Should I pay a lot for an RME or get a second hand MOTU unit or even a USB interface? Seeking thoughts on the various alternatives.

BTW can get a second hand RME FW interface for about $2kAUD (about $1534.68 USD here downunder or a 2nd hand MOTU for about AUD $350 (about #268.56 USD)
or import again from the US for a hundred or so more.

Just seeking working opinions on reasonably low latency interfaces without blowing too much.


New Interface for innovation Mine Blew

Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire