mercredi 28 septembre 2016

Is automation hard-tied to specific plugins?

I was trying to solve a minor problem just now. I got it fixed, but along the way I discovered something that made me curious.

I made shitloads of automation on a track with 1 plugin. The plugin stopped working, and I was trying to rescue the automation data.
But if I removed the non-loading plugin, all automation data gets removed too. There's no way around it.

So instead of removing the plugin, I added another instance of the same plugin, and I exchanged their places, so the the newly loaded instance was place above the formerly (un)loaded one. This moved the former one down to second slot place.
Since both plugins are identical, the automation commands received should affect the newly loaded instance perfectly. But nothing happened. No automation commands were received by the newly loaded instance. I tried switching both plugin instances back and forth between insert slots 1 and 2, but there was no success.

From this, it seems to me that Reaper assigns a unique identifier for each individual plugin loaded? So that any automation only gets sent to that particular identifier, and cannot be received even by a new instance of exactly the same plugin?
If so, this is not what I'm used to from other DAWs and it was a new thing to me. Just wants to confirm this is actually the case?

And if so, to mention that .. this could use some adjustment in future versions of Reaper. Otherwise there is no way to salvage automation, whenever that need appears. Because to receive the data, a receiving plugin must be assigned the exact same identifier that the originating plugin had. I don't think we have any control over such identifiers, right? It's an unnecessary risk factor.

/C


Is automation hard-tied to specific plugins?

Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire